An increasing number of business leaders want to do something about climate change. The slow march to net zero has been given a boost by the horrors of Covid-19, so businesses need to get on the right side of the climate issue.
We asked ourselves whether it would be possible to develop a simple 10 step plan that could get any business on the path to net zero emissions. A straight forward, achievable way forward.
We can all do something about climate change. We can help our businesses and co-workers tackle this crisis and the exciting new opportunities that come with becoming eco-friendly. The power to make the difference is in our hands.
As companies reopen post Covid, many of them will be making fundamental changes to how they do business given changing consumer sentiment. Things are going to be quite different. Further, businesses will have a requirement to achieve net zero so that their business activities can become carbon neutral.
Customers and employees require higher standards of public hygiene and are increasingly attracted to businesses that are eco conscious. Being an environmentally responsible business, with environmentally sound practices, products and services will become the new norm.
We’ve developed a straight forward action plan that helps businesses become climate ready and get firmly on the path to net zero.
10 Steps to Making Your Business Climate Friendly:
Switch to renewable energy in your office, factories, vehicle fleets and tools. There are a growing number of green energy suppliers so finding the right one for your needs is quite easy. Also, electric vehicles and tools are becoming increasingly pervasive and cost effective.
2. Hire on-site employees who live within a cycle commute - the rest could work from home. Help keep pollution down and fully embrace the new ways of working. Since you have had to put in place homeworking/telecommuting routines and processes during the Coronavirus lockdown, it's time to lock these benefits in.
3. Minimise waste and recycle everything you can. The Zero Waste movement is starting to pick up steam - try to adopt some practical measures for the office setting. Become a single-use plastic free business.
4. Lease an eco-office, warehouse or factory with a zero carbon footprint. At a minimum make sure your office is well insulated for the winter and allows as much sunlight, for natural warming, during the late spring and summer. That way you can use less energy to heat your offices.
5. Train your employees in Surviving’s 10 step plan for individuals and households to help tackle climate change.
6. Rewild your green areas. Plant trees, shrubs and wild grasses - the combination of the three provide the basic habitats for wildlife and insects. Place benches in nature to support employee wellbeing.
7. Train your company leaders in the methods and approaches to developing more environmentally conscious behaviours, practises and products.
8. Source eco materials and local supplies wherever possible from environmentally conscious suppliers.
9. Organise team meetings and away days at eco-friendly hotels and venues. Also, try to set up outdoor meeting spaces while supporting outdoor meetings when employees, suppliers or customers are at your offices.
10. Measure the improvements and your accomplishments on the road to becoming fully climate friendly on a six monthly basis and communicate your progress to employees, customers and investors.
We hope you will give this plan a go - we have. It's not too hard and it works. Also, you never know, it might prove to be just the psychological, bring everyone together kind of project your business needs post the stress of the last 18 months.
Keep up to date with all the Letts Journal’s news stories and updates on twitter.